Pages

Subscribe:

Blog Archive

Christian Novel Review

Having always been an avid reader, since becoming a Christian I have found a wealth of reading material in Christian bookshops and in various second hand bookshops. I have found that in Christian novels one often finds truths that help in one’s Christian walk. I enjoy reading about how the various characters deal with life, and I also find I am the richer for reading a really good Christian novel. Certain authors, through their books, give you a real insight into their joys and struggles, which I find very interesting. The books which I am going to review are those which I have really enjoyed, and have read at least twice – some books, for example the “Mark of the Lion “ series by Francine Rivers, I have read at least five times each. The first books that I am going to talk about are the latest two novels by Francine Rivers,


Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Wednesday 8 June 2022

THE HEART OF THE MOUNTAINS by PEPPER BASHAM

Publication date 1/7/22
THE HEART OF THE MOUNTAINS by PEPPER BASHAM is a beautifully written historical romance novel which takes place in the Blue Ridge Mountains in 1919. I love the characters and the strong Christian message. The story is set after WW1 and we see the often fatal effects the war has on so many people.
Jeb McAdams overcomes his memories of the battlefields by keeping busy. He is a family man, strong and capable, with a subtle sense of humour. Cora Taylor finds him calming, especially when he saves her life on several occasions. She has also gone through a great deal during the war as a nurse on the battlefields of France, but nothing has prepared her for the adventures she will have in this harsh and dangerous land. She longs to help the people with her nursing skills and to learn from them, especially from Granny Burcham, but “Nurse Woman” is looked upon with suspicion by some of the fiercely superstitious inhabitants.
Both she and Jeb are determined to live well in this hard place, and as Jeb says, “Maybe we can’t choose our hard, but I reckon we can choose how to live with it in the right way.” 
It is a story about second chances, healing, restoration, forgiveness and the redemption of lost souls. We are reminded that God’s plans are best and that He can bring good out of any situation. A quotation I like from Cora is: “ From what the Bible says, we are all broken, Willa, and that is why we need a rescuer.” 
There is plenty of adventure and beauty in these mountains and the story is not only enjoyable but also inspirational. I highly recommend The Heart of the Mountains to anyone who enjoys this genre.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Barbour Publishing. The opinions in this review are completely my own.


 





0 comments:

Post a Comment