Pages

Subscribe:

Blog Archive

Christian Novel Review

Having always been an avid reader, since becoming a Christian I have found a wealth of reading material in Christian bookshops and in various second hand bookshops. I have found that in Christian novels one often finds truths that help in one’s Christian walk. I enjoy reading about how the various characters deal with life, and I also find I am the richer for reading a really good Christian novel. Certain authors, through their books, give you a real insight into their joys and struggles, which I find very interesting. The books which I am going to review are those which I have really enjoyed, and have read at least twice – some books, for example the “Mark of the Lion “ series by Francine Rivers, I have read at least five times each. The first books that I am going to talk about are the latest two novels by Francine Rivers,


Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Friday 29 May 2020

LINE BY LINE by JENNIFER DELAMERE

Publication date 30/6/20
LINE BY LINE by JENNIFER DELAMERE takes place in Victorian England at the time that telegraphy was fast changing business dynamics, in much the same way that the internet is doing in modern day business practices.
I find this really fascinating, especially seeing women coming into their own in this career, working alongside men. Add to this some gentle romance, a wealth of interesting characters and good Christian content and you have a most enjoyable read.
The story takes place in London in 1881. Alice McNeil has procured a prestigious position in the telegraphy department of Henley & Company who deal in imports of wheat & cotton. Douglas Shaw is Mr Henley's right hand man and he and Alice relate well in that they are both interested in business practices, particularly inventions that improve businesses financially. Douglas, who comes from abject poverty, and has worked hard to rise above his origins, is very ambitious and quite a social climber. He encourages Alice to to aim for a higher position in the company.
The introduction of "The Spinster's Guide to Love and Romance" and its effect on everything, particularly on Alice's determination to stay unmarried, brings some lovely humour into the story.
The book deals with love and marriage, jealousy, and relationships between family members, friends and co workers, all against the background of the social norms of the time.
It is a delightful book and one I can highly recommend. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

Post a Comment