Pages

Subscribe:

Blog Archive

Christian Novel Review

Having always been an avid reader, since becoming a Christian I have found a wealth of reading material in Christian bookshops and in various second hand bookshops. I have found that in Christian novels one often finds truths that help in one’s Christian walk. I enjoy reading about how the various characters deal with life, and I also find I am the richer for reading a really good Christian novel. Certain authors, through their books, give you a real insight into their joys and struggles, which I find very interesting. The books which I am going to review are those which I have really enjoyed, and have read at least twice – some books, for example the “Mark of the Lion “ series by Francine Rivers, I have read at least five times each. The first books that I am going to talk about are the latest two novels by Francine Rivers,


Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Tuesday 5 October 2021

THE WINTER ROSE by MELANIE DOBSON

Publication date 11/1/22

THE WINTER ROSE by MELANIE DOBSON is a novel that takes place in two time zones, namely 1943 and 2003, held together by Charlie Tonquin’s story, which, at first, he refuses to divulge. Elias, who becomes Charlie when he gets to the Statea, Marguerite and Louis are three of the children who cross the Pyrenees into Spain from Vichy France with the intrepid Quaker, Grace Tonquin.  It is Grace and her friend Roland’s aim to rescue as many Jewish children from the Nazis as they can. I like to see how Grace holds onto the promises of God, particularly those in psalm 27, to give her strength to carry on, like a winter rose that blooms even in the snow.

Moving on to 2003, we find Addie Hault at Tonquin Lake looking for Charlie’s relatives in order to find someone to supply him with bone marrow. She finds the willow tree which has become a symbol of perseverence to Charlie, with its ability to bend and not break under pressure. Charlie, or Papa C as Addie calls him, is the only father figure Addie has ever known. Due to her troubled upbringing, she ends up at Sale Creek Home for Girls where Charlie and his wife Emma become her family. I like the way Charlie teaches Addie to throw stones into the river in order to be free from the past.

Marguerite is an artist who, from her early childhood, sees an aura of colour around people showing her their very soul and literally “seeing someone’s emotions in colour.”
It is a story about second chances and new beginnings, as the Lord works in broken people to restore and save. The author shows us how the horrors of war have affected those who have escaped, especially the children, who find themselves in a different country and unfamiliar circumstances where they struggle to fit in. I like to see how Grace and Roland, Charlie and Emma, never stop praying for those they love.
I am not going to tell you any more for fear of spoiling the read for you.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough for the suspenseful and touching story, the unforgettable characters and the strong redemptive message.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Tyndale House Publishers. The opinions in this review are completely my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment