Pages

Subscribe:

Blog Archive

Christian Novel Review

Having always been an avid reader, since becoming a Christian I have found a wealth of reading material in Christian bookshops and in various second hand bookshops. I have found that in Christian novels one often finds truths that help in one’s Christian walk. I enjoy reading about how the various characters deal with life, and I also find I am the richer for reading a really good Christian novel. Certain authors, through their books, give you a real insight into their joys and struggles, which I find very interesting. The books which I am going to review are those which I have really enjoyed, and have read at least twice – some books, for example the “Mark of the Lion “ series by Francine Rivers, I have read at least five times each. The first books that I am going to talk about are the latest two novels by Francine Rivers,


Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Thursday 4 February 2021

JEWEL OF THE NILE by TESSA AFSHAR

Publication date 1/6/21
TESSA AFSHAR's novels are well worth waiting for and JEWEL OF THE NILE is certainly no exception! What a lovely book and what a beautiful message. I particularly like the scripture verses at the beginning of each chapter which really fit in and enlarge the reading experience. To me the main message is that of Jesus being the only one who can make broken people whole, and that we need to see ourselves, scarred though we may be, through His eyes. As Theo says, "The trouble with scars is that they tell their own twisted story. They make you see yourself through their own distorted mirror." There is also the longing for family and to belong, and the debilitating effects of guilt and the inability to forgive oneself.
The story starts with Chariline visiting her grandparents in Meroe, the capital of Cush. At their home she hears something they do not want her to hear which sends her to Rome in search of the truth. There is something else she overhears, this time in the Kandake's court, which leaves her confused as to what she should do with rhe information.
Desperate to get to Rome, she stows away on Theodotus of Corinth's ship. We have met Theo before in Thief of Corinth and Daughter of Rome. We also come across the desciple Philip, and Aquila and Priscilla, whose story is told in Daughter of Rome. I must add, though, that each of these wonderful novels can definitely stand alone.
I enjoyed everything about this book and cannot recommend Jewel of the Nile highly enough, especially to anyone who enjoys biblical historical novels.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Tyndale House Publishers. The opinions in this review are completely my own.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPadq

0 comments:

Post a Comment