Pages

Subscribe:

Blog Archive

Christian Novel Review

Having always been an avid reader, since becoming a Christian I have found a wealth of reading material in Christian bookshops and in various second hand bookshops. I have found that in Christian novels one often finds truths that help in one’s Christian walk. I enjoy reading about how the various characters deal with life, and I also find I am the richer for reading a really good Christian novel. Certain authors, through their books, give you a real insight into their joys and struggles, which I find very interesting. The books which I am going to review are those which I have really enjoyed, and have read at least twice – some books, for example the “Mark of the Lion “ series by Francine Rivers, I have read at least five times each. The first books that I am going to talk about are the latest two novels by Francine Rivers,


Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Wednesday 29 June 2016

MARCIA SCHUYLER by GRACE LIVINGSTON HILL

I have just finished reading MARCIA SCHUYLER by GRACE LIVINGSTON HILL - what a truly delightful novel! I only wish the author was still alive so that I could tell her how much I enjoy her writing!
Marcia Schuyler is a young girl of eighteen who dreams of one day being loved by a man like her sister Kate's fiancé David Spafford, although she wonders if any man will ever love her as much as David loves Kate, being not blond and beautiful like her vivacious older sister.
Unlike Kate who is selfish and unkind, there is a child likeness about Marcia, who is unselfish and loving. In the two sisters we see the difference between unconditional love and living to please oneself. This theme is picked up throughout the novel with the different characters who are very well portrayed. I especially like Miranda, the plain little orphan girl who lives with her grandmother and who is willing to do anything for those she loves. She is more worldly wise than Marcia and puts her own life at risk to keep her safe.
Marcia is upset at the offhand way in which Kate treats David, and starts out her own married life at quite a disadvantage - with a man who loves another, with her sister's trousseau, and with a strong sense of moral obligation to honour the promise she made in order to save her parents and David from shame. It is truly a case of laying one's life down for another.
This is a beautifully told love story with a strong Christian message. I really recommend this novel, and in fact any novel written by this author. Many of her books are free on Amazon kindle which is an added bonus!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

Post a Comment