Pages

Subscribe:

Blog Archive

Christian Novel Review

Having always been an avid reader, since becoming a Christian I have found a wealth of reading material in Christian bookshops and in various second hand bookshops. I have found that in Christian novels one often finds truths that help in one’s Christian walk. I enjoy reading about how the various characters deal with life, and I also find I am the richer for reading a really good Christian novel. Certain authors, through their books, give you a real insight into their joys and struggles, which I find very interesting. The books which I am going to review are those which I have really enjoyed, and have read at least twice – some books, for example the “Mark of the Lion “ series by Francine Rivers, I have read at least five times each. The first books that I am going to talk about are the latest two novels by Francine Rivers,


Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Saturday 19 April 2014

WHILE MORTALS SLEEP by JACK CAVANAUGH

I knew I would enjoy WHILE MORTALS SLEEP by JACK CAVANAUGH as I have read HIS WATCHFUL EYE, the second novel in the Songs In The Night series, several times. In fact, I have yet to read a book by him that I haven't found inspiring because of the strong Christian message in his novels.
While Mortals Sleep is the very moving story of Pastor Josef Schumacher who starts out as a strong supporter of the Fuhrer until he realizes what this apparently charismatic leader is really doing to his country and his people. Josef refuses to compromise his Christian values, in spite of his father in law's advice, and is horrified to see how far his mentor is prepared to go in order to keep his family safe.
Josef loves his wife, Mady, and is looking forward to the birth of his child. He is conflicted as he doesn't want to cause trouble for them, but his conscience won't allow him to do nothing when Jews and children are being murdered.
We see his bravery and faith being tested to the extreme.
We see Mady, who is full of complaints about her husband, coming to love him in the end.
Josef's stand for the truth even reaches the Nazi youths who come to his church.
Against the backdrop of Germany in 1940, the characters make every day life during that horrific time very real for us, and show us how the choices that they made affected their lives and those of their loved ones. I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. I have just bought Above All Earthly Powers, the third book in the series, and cannot wait to read it!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comments:

Jack Cavanaugh said...

When I researched the trials of this generation of Christians I knew I had to attempt to tell their story. My prayer is that I did them justice. One cannot think of this generation of Christians with their rich spiritual history and how they had to endure the rise of Hitler, World War II and Communism behind the Berlin Wall, without being moved.

Thank you Sue for wanting to share their story with others.

Post a Comment